FAQs

1. Which Gen Ed courses should I take?
    The General Education course requirements must be completed by all incoming freshman. Transfer students may be required to take all, some, or none of the Gen Ed courses. Certain CT major courses require specific Gen Ed courses as prerequisites. Please read the Gen Ed course advice on the Course Advice page.
  2. When are major courses offered? Are all courses offered every semester?
    Not every CT class is offered every semester. Some classes alternate between the fall semester and spring semester. Please read the Major course advice on the Course Advice page.
  3. How do I get an internship?
    Communications Technology majors are required to take an internship in order to graduate; minors are encouraged to do one as well. Before taking your first internship students are required to take the one credit workshop CT 399, Portfolio Design. In this course, students prepare a resume, identify and contact interesting employers, and meet with the internship coordinator, Daniel Phelps.
  4. What should I do for a final project?
    A CT major’s final project is your opportunity to make a project of your own design to showcase your creative interests and talent as you prepare to graduate. A proposal for your final project is developed in the required prerequisite course CT 399 Portfolio Design. In this class you pitch ideas for projects and develop one into a full proposal.
  5. How do track my track my degree progress?
    It’s very important to stay on top of your degree progress beyond simply taking the required courses for the General Education Requirements and for the Communications Technology Major. Every student must also meet GPA requirements (2.0 overall & major), satisfy Liberal Arts course requirements, Writing Intensive course requirements, and total credit requirements. You talk to an adviser at anytime or visit the CUNY Portal and login to the degree audit system, Degreeworks.
  6. What kind of job can I get with a degree in Communications Technology?A graduate of the CT program is prepared for a variety of roles in the dynamic creative industry. This includes roles in film, television, news, and web. Students create projects and development skills for a variety of fields,
  7. How do I waive out of AC 101 Computer Literacy? Minor and Major students may be waived of the AC 101 course requirement by visiting the Communications Technology Office, AC 4G01.

About the Author

Michael Smith is an Assistant Professor and Director of the Communications Technology program at York College. Prof. Smith hosts a personal digital archive project blog on Commons titled It Cannot Be Trivial.